Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pain de Campagne

So, for the record, the flavor of that last loaf was good, but the texture, lightness and crust were NOT.

In my quest for a decent loaf of home baked bread, I bring you Trial II.

I determined problem #1 with the last batch was the ambient temperature of the starter and dough....my solution? A heating pad. I placed the bowl of starter on a heating pad set at medium and the next morning it was really happy. I did the same thing with last night's dough with good results. We keep our house col at night because we both sleep better that way. The dough didn't like it.

My first dough was also too moist. We fixed that as well. So first I bring you a stock photo of what pain de campagne should look like:



The traditional photo from France



And then, of course, our French Country Bread:



I think if I had dusted it with flour before baking, it wouldn't be too bad. We'll slice into after we get home from the theater tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment