Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Plied.



The dyed silk was trickier to spin than I thought. First, I used the heat set dye method and no mordant and I'm not really sure I did it right. I used the yellow and apricot dyes straight and the red was dilluted, and the red washed out. I wasted about 1/2 of the silk learning to ply it. Silk doesn't have a memory like wool. It is also highly inelastic compared to wool.

Once I got it figured out it was working, but I only ended up with about 50 yards of it. It was an inexpensive lesson. I think it's pretty, though. Sunset colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment