Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wordy.

I don't have any photos today, so I'll try to tack up some old photo to catch the attention of you short attention span/MTV generation types (myself included.) OR you can click on my links. I like hyperlinks because they allow me to digress without losing my train of thought. You, the Reader, can go back and follow my various digressions if you choose to do so, or ignore the red words entirely.

Tyree has gone back to school at BTC and is really excited about the classes he's taking. Quite frankly, so am I. (If you'll remember Aunt Katie) I guessed that it was going to be the welding part that REALLY excited him and hooboy, so far it is. Plus I have about 1 million things I want him to weld for me, starting with a coffee table that looks like this. Then proceeding to a metal and copper Shoji screen that I have in mind. Woohoo!

Penny the Van continues to run more or less perfectly. We wanted to take it camping this weekend, but it started SNOWING. Freakish weather.

I've been thinking more and more about the meat we eat. I was a vegetarian for many, many years. This was first about the humane treatment of animals for me and it eventually morphed into the concern about the sustainability of the meat agribusiness industry. We continue to allot more and more of our pesticide-laden genetically modified corn to feed our confined, feedlot, hormone and antibiotic-laced cattle. There weren't a whole lot of other options at that time. That's not the case anymore. The end of my vegetarian days came when Robin Du Pre, an environmental activist whom I truly respect said to me one day,
"What do You think is more sustainable, clean fish and organic meat from our local area or soybeans trucked in from Kansas." Yeah. That's all it took.

The local, natural foods industry has exploded in Bellingham in the last 10 years. There is an organization here in town called Sustainable Connections that does an amazing job of promoting th local economy. Heck, as far as I can tell they are CREATING the local economy. Anyway, now I can get fresh, local, organic produce, meat, dairy, etc practically any time I want. Which brings me back to the meat. Organic meat and chicken are REALLY expensive. As in not within our budget. Unless we buy bulk.

I'm considering ordering 1/4 (of a cows worth) of beef this year from Skagit River Ranch. It's really expensive but about 1/2 the price of buying it in the store. We would just freeze it. and it would be our year's worth. My friend has been doing this for years with her family. Her dad buys a couple of cattle every year and they raise it, have it butchered and divide it up. They're well cared for and pastured in the most beautiful land and are basically organic, free-range, grass-fed, etc.... without the label. She said there's a small chance I could get a share from her, which would be about 1/2 the price of Skagit River because her dad doesn't do it for profit, just cost and labor. I've got my fingers crossed.

We spent a lot of time in the studio this weekend. I'm preparing my side to house a loom soon. I've packed up and culled a lot of my bookbinding stuff. I'm not having much luck selling my antique equipment locally so we might keep it until we open our bookstore someday. It would look pretty neat.




There, are you happy?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about the vegan/vegetarian sustainability issues and came up with that justification for eating meat awhile ago. I'm going to go in on a cow with someone soon as well from our local place (Redwood meats). I tried to butcher my roosters, but it's a bit messy and I really botched it, so I'd rather leave it up to the professionals. Dad gives me lots of venison and elk and as much as I'm not excited about shooting deer, I think I'll take my hunter safety course this year. Keep me posted on the weaving!!

    ReplyDelete