Monday, May 12, 2008

PDX

I love Portland.

Tyree and I went to stay for a few days with Marty. The inspiration for this trip was great little loom I found on Craigslist in Vancouver, but we had an awesome time.

We rolled into town pretty late on Friday night and had to drop my friend Oscar off at his daughters. When we finally got to Marty's we immediately passed out. The next day we picked up the loom. We took a tower of books to Powell's to sell, and considering they were the dregs of our collection, we did pretty well. They bought about 2/3 of the stack. I picked up the two specialty weaving books I had been looking for while I was there. Powell's is one of the country's largest independent bookstores and it was awe-inspiring to be sure. The rare book room on the 4th floor is filled with treasures and ephemera for all tastes. It's temperature and humidity controlled. I found it a little stuffy.

On Marty's recommendation we went to a little specialty chocolate shop near Powell's called Cacao. In addition to the mind boggling display of specialty chocolates, their main attraction is their 'drinking chocolate.' Not to be confused with hot chocolate, drinking chocolate is a dark chocolate, velvety smooth dessert. It was like the finest liquid chocolate bar you've ever tasted. They have a version that has ginger and cayenne in it that was our favorite. It was one of the finest pick-me-ups I've had and I have to say I spent the rest of the day on a cloud.

We ate Ethiopian food for dinner, which I love, and had a drink at our friend Josh's bar. Portland is fast become one of the foodie capitols of the US. I can see why.

We picked up Conor at his mom's on the way home and I had just enough time to put the loom together, warp it and weave a little before I was completely exhausted.


Here she is. Made in Oregon. Yes, Shrimpy McShrimp has to sit on a telephone book.



Practicing my twill patterns.
There will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment