Monday, August 18, 2008

It was a nice weekend. We took a picnic up the Mt. Baker Highway (thanks for the picnic bag, Grandma Mo) and tried to find a decent spot to fish for trout. We didn’t find the trout spot, but we found an awesome picnic spot. The river was just moving a little too fast and cloudy for shore fishing.

Tyree did see a large fish in a sort of side pool and after all but bludgeoning it with his bait, he reached in and grabbed it by hand. It was a HUGE, old (and I mean beat) salmon. It was really old and beyond eating and we wished it happy trails but not before Theta got a really close look at it. I don’t think she’d ever seen a fish like that before.



I shamelessly stole this photo of the Nooksack River from a county government website. This is not really as pretty as where we were.

Sunday I pulled up all the old plants from the garden and planted a fall crop of peas, spinach, lettuce, chard, parsnips and radishes. I have new bush beans and broccoli sprouting and hopefully we’ll get one more crop of each before the days are too short. This will be my first year of real winter gardening and I’m pretty excited. Our back yard is pretty well protected, so I have high expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment